Friday, October 28, 2011

The New ABCs


Approximately a month ago, I sent out the above tweet. I like it so much, that I am re-gifting it, especially for you.

Appreciation - when you activate genuine feelings of appreciation - much as Ramana does regularly on his blog with the Gratitude List - you are triggering a different set of chemicals. 

The trick is not just to think these feelings, but to actually go deep into your heart and feel them.This was a big challenge for me, but I have learned to discriminate the difference between the two. How do I know? Well, when I see the change in my heart rhythms, that's proof enough for me. 

When you are able to achieve that, grasshopper, the pay-off is well worth it.

What's the pay-off? Well, it is different for everyone, but how would bliss and calm do, for starters - or finishers, for that matter?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug-in Marianna. I have found that exercise to be very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne,

    Thanks for another wonderful effective stress-reducing post...

    This reminds me of a wonderful gratitude exercise that Martin Seligman (the father of positive psychology) recommends for better overall mental health.

    He recommends that one writes down every night three things that went well that day (and if one can, also add in three things that one contributed to them going well).

    Doing this on a regular basis not only feels good - it has been proven to reduce anxiety, depression and stress.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I know your life is busy. That's why I appreciate your stopping by to comment.